Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A Long December Ago

From Founding Parousian Katie Culotta:

A long December ago, a very dear friend of mine asked me what I thought of his idea. He had said many other ideas in the past and shared them assuredly. Though I barely knew him, he would challenge me as if I did. One vivid memory I have is when he insisted that I take a course on Flannery O’ Connor, “If you like finding grace among the grotesque, you will love Ms. O’Connor”. I remember the conversation we had which pointed me to now one of my favorite writers; it was about my city.

For a long time now people have talked about the city of New Orleans in all its misery, renewal, impurity, purification, magic, charm, culture, confusion, chaos and the list could go on. But now that something large, monumental, and devastating has happened to this city, it has a new light. People acknowledge it as different now because it has potential to grow and come back strong. Nevertheless, it is that great city and all its representation of good and evil that led me to come to have a great respect for the founder of the Parousians. He wanted to see the grace among the grotesque.

The Parousians are a group of men and women with one goal in mind: to bring the truth of Christ, through beauty and goodness, to all who walk on or near the campus of Louisiana State University.

I say near because right beyond the north gates of campus lies the first meeting place of this idea. Although it was not Walker Percy’s Waffle house, the location was convenient, cozy, and had many available chairs in the back courtyard area which sometimes makes you feel like you are in a cafĂ© in Paris.

There were only about eight people at that first meeting, and I don’t remember exactly what we discussed. But, I do know that I left feeling very hopeful about this idea. It made sense that college students who are seeking to build the kingdom should come together and share their thoughts about theology, philosophy, encyclicals, and the depth of our sacramental belief.

I cannot say that I attended enough Sunday night meetings to write about the detailed advances the Parousians made in their many lectures and gatherings. I do know, however, that a transformation took place. The campus, without even knowing it, was flooded with a new spirit. Although it may have only been visible in a few small corners, it had purpose and direction. This spirit is in the souls of every member of the Parousians, they are determined and ready.

In only a year the group has already spread to other campuses in both Lafayette and Florida. The members are growing, the talks are improving, the nightly rosaries are prayed, and before you know it, L.S.U. will not know what hit them.

For a long time now people have talked about L.S.U. They have talked about its athletics, campus, parking, chancellor, Greek life, diversity, renovation, partying, lakes… and the list could go on. But now something has happened…something beautiful. A group has joined together in prayer and truth to discover how to embrace their vocation. They have audaciously moved through the campus to share the wisdom they have learned. They are graciously inviting more and more students to join, and before you know it, people will have something new to talk about at L.S.U. They will talk about the Parousians.

No comments: