Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Is God Using the Chicago Bears Mascot to Make People Laugh?

Jason Yurechko is a Catholic who thinks he's on a mission from God. He dresses up as Bears superfan Bill Swerski or Blues Brother Jake, frolicking with Staley the Bear. His mission from God is to make people laugh. This Parousian has to question if God is really the author of this mission. After all, one leading Catholic commentator called Colbert has pointed out, bears are not just killing machines. Bears are godless killing machines without a soul that feast on the blood of the Saints.

Of course, this does not mean Yurechko is not a channel of grace that God uses. His situation is similar to many Flannery O'Connor characters. In violent, offensive, grotesque, and sinful situations (like being on the Bears sideline), a little light of grace (good humor in this case) shines through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am Jason Yurechko and I have always thought that the Lord has a "Mission" for Everybody with the usage of the talents that he has blessed us with....When I was asked why I do this as an entertainer....I answered and will always answer... " I love to make people laugh." Just as in the Beatitudes Cloth the naked, feed the hungry, make the sad laugh....Because after all you do this for the least of my brothers you do it for me...I really feel that that is the truth...and if that is my talent then that is what I will do for God...This is a prayer that I pray before I perform...if I'm not too nervous and forgetful...but I do believe this... The Clown's Prayer "As I stumble through this life, help me to create more laughter than tears, dispense more happiness than gloom, spread more cheer than despair. Never let me become so indifferent that I will fail to see the wonder in the eyes of a child or the twinkle in the eyes of the aged. Never let me forget that my total effort is to cheer people, make them happy and forget at least momentarily all the unpleasantness in their lives. And, in my final moment; may I hear You whisper: When you made My people smile, you made Me smile." AMEN