Monday, January 29, 2007

A few words...

I figured I should say a few things on the blog to mark the transition. I hope to have a more detailed agenda/vision/whatever new term is captivating the business/management section of Barnes and Noble. I do want to acknowledge Toby's post describing my interests in Star Wars and as my first official action I have moved that all LSU Parousians meetings begin with my entrance to the "Imperial March."

In seriousness, I am incredibly humbled by being chosen to be the next leader of the LSU. It wasn't but four months ago that I didn't know any of you and was simply hoping to fit in the group. That's quite a drastic change in such a short period of time. These four months have been among the happiest I've had in quite a long time and my main goal as leader of the LSU group is to make sure that as many people, both at LSU now and in the future, can experience that same joy.

In order to achieve that, I want to foster a culture of openness. If you're interested at all in the Parousians and what we do, we have a place for you because you're probably not too unlike us: you're looking for something deeper. That may be intellectual support, it may be more meaningful fellowship, or a higher spiritual life. However you define your quest I believe that this exceptional group of people can help you along with it. And for my part, I know that just seeking such things means that you have something to give to us. Everybody in the Parousians can contribute in the discussions and give a presentation because they are all exceptionally capable people in their own way and everybody has something to give the group to make it stronger. I look forward to working with and growing closer to each and every member of the LSU Parousians.

Part of this openness means making sure that I keep everybody's opinions in mind. Right now, I am meeting with each of the Guard members individually to accumulate as many assessments of the Parousians as possible so that it can become clear what we need to continue to nourish and what we need to change. While the Guard members are the most natural ones to turn to, the Guard has no monopoly on the truth. So if you'd like to talk to me about the state of the Parousians, email me at mdento1@lsu.edu and I'll do my best with it. Also, if you want to give a presentation or write on the blog or have an idea or in any way want to participate more in the Parousians I'd love to have you.

If you think this openness is a good idea, I'm afraid you can't attribute it to me. I was inspired by the excellent leadership of the LSU Parousians of Philip DeMahy. He always asked me what I thought and I want to emulate him as much as possible in doing that. So I want to thank him for his example and service to the group both in the past and the future. I also want to thank Toby for his group that I'm taking into trust as it is his vision that has allowed me to be here today. I also want to thank all the members of the Parousian Guard of LSU: Emily Byers, Liz Johnson, Juliette Lapeyrouse, Ryan Hallford, and Mary-Grace Westphal. They have been tremendously gracious in letting me pick their brains about the way I should handle my responsibilities and I'm confident that they will continue to help me make sure the group runs smoothly. I'm also confident if the group does run smoothly after today, it will be in spite of me and attributable only to this group, which I can honestly say is the greatest collection of people I have ever seen assembled in one place. I am humbled by their support and prayers as well as the support and prayers I've received from the rest of the Parousians and I hope that I can reward their trust.

Finally, I thank God for leading me to the Parousians and the many other blessings He's given me in the past few months.

God Bless,

Michael R. Denton

No comments: